ஆரூரா! தியாகேசா !! - Darshan at Thyagesa Temple
ஆரூரா! தியாகேசா !!
02 Aug 2026
I have been to this massive temple a number of times; many of those visits were before my teens. In the last decade, I only visited about two or three times with wide gaps. Nothing much registered when I was young, nor during the darshan trips of the last decade, because those trips felt rushed as I combined them with work.
But my visit to the temple yesterday was incredibly pleasant, even though I spent just a little over an hour there. This time, I didn't combine it with any work schedule.
The Kamalalayam (கமலாலயம்) tank has perennial water with absolutely no signs of soil erosion. The cab driver explained that the tank is of the same space proportion as the mammoth temple itself! The reason for the abundance of water is that there are a number of ever-secreting wells inside the big tank.
I entered the temple through the western dhwara, the big entry doors, and went straight to the Goddess Kamala Devi shrine, passing through a small go-shala. Just before I entered, a senior priest was performing Sankashti Chaturthi (சங்கடஹர சதுர்த்தி) puja for Vinayaga in the front mantap. Kamala Devi was in a dazzling avatar, and a group of devotees were taking sankalp for Nava Sakthi puja. Baskets after baskets of varieties of flowers 🌺🌹 were in queue to be showered on Amma.
After Devi darshan, I headed to have darshan at the sanctums of Aroorar, Thyagesa, Nilothpalambal, and other shrines inside this massive temple complex.
We often hear that the number of Shiv Lingas in Tiruvannamalai and Varanasi are innumerable. Inside the Thiruvarur temple, there are also numerous Shiv Linga shrines ranging from tiny to big. There is a Lord Annamalaiyar sanctum perched on an elevated structure. To go there, you climb a staircase with very steep footsteps. Once you are up there, it instantly recalls the Patala Lingam (பாதாள லிங்கம்) sanctum in the multi-pillared mantap of the front yard at the Arunachaleswarar temple in Tiruvannamalai. The only difference is the location of the sanctum: in Thiruvarur, it is perched high up, whereas in Tiruvannamalai, you need to go deep down. Yet, both places are ideal, quiet spots to sit down and do dhyan. Rarely do people take the pain to climb up here. Standing there, I could understand why Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi chose the Patala Linga sanctum to transcend through deep tapas.
The most important festival is big chariot - ஆழித் தேர் - utsav in Tamil month வைகாசி.
As I was walking back after darshan, it struck me that in almost every Shiv temple, Lord Hanuman is present—either in an exclusive shrine or carved into one of the pillars. Think of Hanumanji, and He presents Himself! As I approached the exit dhwara, two or three bhakthas were looking up in prayer. I looked up too. Close to the backside of the western left gate, high up on top, was a miniature carving of Lord Hanuman. The sindoor was beautifully waxing over Hanumanji.
With this prayer 🙏 slogan on Hanumanji, I wrapped up my visit to the temple:
ஆரூரா! தியாகேசா !!
P.S. On the back west exit gate, there was a stone inscription referring to the West Raja Gopura renovation (تிருப்பணி) by the Devakottai Shri Chatram Soma (சத்திரம் சோம) family along with the Chakkanthi Ulaga. Kana. (சக்கந்தி உலக. கண.) family.
You need a minimum of one full day to have a complete Darshan of all the shrines inside this magnificent Thyagesa Temple.
Acknowledgement: First time, I presented my piece to AI. Thank AI, it just not had done editing, but had given a thorough SWOT analysis of the piece. The improvised version is what you just read above.
While one side of the world is still skeptic, I'm afraid, it would not be out of place to take positive side of the ever evolving technology.

Comments
Post a Comment